The ICANN Registrar Accreditation Agreement of 2013 is an agreement between ICANN - the body responsible for administrating the Domain Name System at it's highest level - and the domain registry's which sell domain names to individuals and resellers. You can find more information about the RAA at this link:
One of the implications of the RAA is that all contact information associated with a registered domain name must be accurate and up-to-date.
Domain Contact Verification
When a domain name is registered for the first time, you have to setup and associate contact information with that domain. When this happens, the registry that handles that domain is required by the RAA to prove the validity of your contact details, and so they will attempt to contact you for verification at this point.
If a domain registry does not receive a response back to their RAA Verification attempt within 15 days, they may suspend domains and services associated with the unverified contact details.
How To Confirm You're Unverified
If you domain name is registered through our domain registry - Public Domain Registry LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM - or through Bravenet, you can confirm that your domain has been suspended for failure to verify by performing a WhoIS lookup of the domain.
- Go to the website http://who.is
- Type a domain name into the search bar and hit Return.
- On the resulting WhoIS lookup that is generated, look for the "Nameserver" information.
- If the nameservers list as "verification-hold.suspended-domain.com" then you know that RAA Verification has failed.
Reactivating Your Site
If your website/domain name has gone offline as a result of failure to verify the contact details, you can easily bring it back online by ensuring that those contact details get verified. You can check your domain contacts and modify them as necessary from your Bravenet account, using the following instructions.
- Log into your Bravenet user account.
- Click the Domains tab from along the top of the page.
- Navigate down to the Manage Domain Contacts button and click it.
- Proceed to check each contact, add contacts, delete contacts, as you see fit.
- Ensure that the email associated with each contact is spelled properly and currently functional.
- Check your email account(s) for the RAA Verification emails. Do note that they may have been sorted into a junk or bulk folder by your email client.